Seasoned SRE and SysAdmin with a knack for automation in all facets of life. Serial skill acquirer in pursuit of a more automated and optimal life; I pickup, replace and augment skills as needed. At the end of the day, the software/tools/things/technology I'm responsible for should be reliable, performant and ideally put a smile on people's faces.
Touchpoint Restaurant Innovations 2018-10-01 — 2020-04-01
equal parts troubleshooter, automation tooling engineer, AWS architect. Owned efforts to modernize, internalize, containerize various bits of core infrastructure.
- Tool-smith 🛠️. Dozens of in-house tools some of which radically changed (read: streamlined and automated) how hardware was shipped to customers. Other tools developed as needed to rectify problems at hundreds of in-field deployments.
- Hashicorp evangelist. Terraform, Packer, Consul, Vault used/deployed to make for a largely immutable, smarter, more secure operating environment. I 💗 (immutable) Infra as Code!
- Vocal advocate for the containerization 📦 of workloads whenever possible. Strong proponent of immutable infrastructure and declarative infrastructure as code.
- Tamer of Elastic Search (Open Distro for Elastic Search on Docker 🐳, specifically). Worked w/ Application Engineering side of the house on migration to ES7.
- Supervisor of in-field hardware; everything from instrumenting for prometheus and building Grafana dashboards 📈 to vetting OEM samples to reverse engineering troublesome firmware and proprietary APIs.
Eventbrite (via Ticketfly) 2017-09-01 — 2018-10-01
Support Ticketfly's systems and help Eventbrite build new tools and processes to give developers more insight into their systems and the organization more flexibility
- Worked to revise how Eventbrite and Ticketfly respond to critical incidences
- Wrote tooling to better link Vault to Eventbrite's central authentication flow
- Modernization of existing Puppet manifests
- Coached colleagues on networking in AWS and Terraform best practices
- Created networking components to securely share data between EB and TF data lakes; extensive work w/ EB DataScience team to fine-tune performance
Ticketfly 2015-01-01 — 2017-09-01
Hired as in the in-house AWS Expert. Led the migration from dataccentre to AWS and drove the necessary infrastructure and application architecture changes needed to pull it off.
- Was 24x7 Tier 4 OnCall
- Rebuild a modern / skilled DevOps team
- Significant tech-debt eradication, ancient stack archaeology, platform spelunking
- Authored countless CHef cookbooks, ruby gems
- SCALR server administrator
- Mongo and MySQL dbe/a
- Consult as an SRE and Architect for new apps and services
- Successfully ran bare metal / data center exit & equipment disposition & data destruction efforts
Acxiom 2014-02-01 — 2015-01-01
Principal support contact for all Aditive software. Integral Chef 'consultant'
- Developed chef training / coached internal teams on migration to Chef
- Built tooling to automate administration of Aditive software and better integrate it within Acxiom's AWS environments
- Worked with colleagues in Asia to support and roll out Aditive software for Asian markets
- SRE, Ops, Dev work for a variety of internal and external applications, some of which serve millions of requests every day.
Aditive 2013-07-01 — 2014-02-01
Equal parts Mongo and Vertica 5 DBA. Led development of software to automate build/deploy of Aditive software in A/B style. In-house Chef dev
- Single handedly engineered and implemented growth/scale strategy for high demand web services.
- Responsible for most infrastructure maintenance, including upgrades to production appliances and live migrations to AWS/VPC from AWS/EC2 Clasic
- Designed and built a variety of deployment tools to aide under staffed development team with single-click / continuous deployment for testing and production environments.
UC, Merced 2009-08-01 — 2013-05-01
- Computer Security
- Computer Architecture
Amateur Radio Operator
Intermediate Vault Training
- Python3: advanced
- golang: passable
- php: rusty
- ruby: rusty
- C/++: hacky
- AWS: advanced+
- Google: passable
- DigitalOcean: intermediate
- Docker: advanced
- kubernetes: intermediate
- Terraform: advanced+
- Packer: advanced
- Consul: advanced
- Vault: advanced
- Networking: advanced
- troubleshooting: advanced+
- performance tuning: intermediate
- testing: intermediate
- avid gym rat
- automated nutrition optimization
- practitioner of various mindfulness techniques
- built/hacked several IoT devices
- Operational Technologies (OT)
Networks & wireless systems
- Licensed HAM (we're allowed to build / test our own wireless protocols)
- Passionate student of all techniques/protocols for linking systems together
Provided on request